Moscow, Russia – Russian Defense Minister Sergey Shoygu announced that Moscow’s military units have entered the Stepanakert and Shusha regions in Nagorno-Karabakh.

Russian peacekeepers have entered Stepanakert and Shusha, Defense Minister Sergey Shoygu said, holding a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin on the situation in Nagorno-Karabakh.

Putin, with the participation of Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, Defense Minister Sergey Shoygu, FSB head Aleksandr Bortnikov , held a videoconferencing meeting on the solution of the humanitarian problems in Nagorno-Karabakh.

Speaking at the meeting, he said that more than 1,100 of the total 1960 soldiers who would be part of the peacekeeping force had been transferred to the region, and that Russian troops had entered the capital Stepanakert and Shusha.

“On 10-11 November 2020, Control was achieved in the Lachin corridor, and peacekeepers entered Stepanakert. 4 observation points were established in the area where Stepanakert and Shusha are located,” he said.

Shoygu said that 9 surveillance points in the Southern responsibility zone in Nagorno-Karabakh will be fully established today and 9 surveillance points in the Northern responsibility zone will be fully established tomorrow, underlining that all measures have been taken for the security of Russian peacekeepers.

“There are problems”

“Humanitarian problems are growing every day. These are problems with Transport and the return of asylum seekers. Naturally, there are other humanitarian problems,” he said.

Explaining that the Russian Ministry of Defense clarified the parameters of the peacekeeping operation with the ministries of Defense of Azerbaijan and Armenia, Shoygu continued: “the operation group was established in the Ministry of Defense. Direct communication channels have been established with ministries in Azerbaijan and Armenia, and efforts are being made to clarify the parameters of the peacekeeping operation through these channels.”

Russian peacekeeping troops in Nagorno-Karabakh were managed from a command point established in Stepanakert, he said, adding that the peacekeeping operation zone was monitored for 24 hours and the ceasefire was continuing.

Lavrov: foreign ministries of a number of countries have been given detailed information.

Foreign Minister Lavrov said that in the report he presented to Putin at the meeting, Foreign Ministries in various countries, especially the co-chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group, France and the United States, provided detailed information about Russia’s work in the region.

“We are in contact with international organizations carrying out humanitarian activities. Most notably with the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs and the UN Development Programme. All these structures exist in the region, but they are not directly in Nagorno-Karabakh. We are in contact with our Armenian and Azerbaijani colleagues at the request of the UN agencies and are trying to reach an agreement on the presence of the UN agencies directly in Nagorno-Karabakh,” he said.

The head of the International Committee of the Red Cross, Peter Maurer, will visit Moscow on November 17 2020 to hold talks with the Foreign Ministry, the Ministry of Defense and the Ministry of emergencies on resolving humanitarian issues in Nagorno-Karabakh, Lavrov added.